Chambered Nautilus - update 1

To create my Chambered Nautilus I initially selected 'Slines' and drew an Arc. This arc would form the shape of my basic shell. Next I lofted this shape which gave me a 'C' shape. I then arranged the vertices to give me the desired shape. I deleted half the shape and only worked on one side, then used the symmetry modifier to ensure I had perfect symmetry.




I then created the second shell piece seen here in green. To create this I found creating a 'plane' gave me the best results. Again I created the plane and moved the vertices around to give me the desired shape. I then created the animals internal structure that would provided the basis of the arms.



I then used the 'PolyDraw' toolset & specifically 'Branches' to create the arms. Once the branches tool is selected I dragged away from the model after selecting the initial polygon which left me with the arm. It was difficult to get the direction & size required using this tool, I couldn't seem to see the logic how the branches were being created, clicking the same polygon and dragging in the same direction numeras times would give very different results. After much trial and error I got the results required.


With the majority of the model created I turned my attention to the materials. The patterns on the shell of this animal are quite complex and to create an effective model I need to match these best I can. I used UVW Unwrap to create UVW templates that I used to create the right colours & patterns for the animal. However I still have a long way to go with the materials.


0 comments: